I know this subject has been talked about a lot lately (I am not trying to be original with this post). If you have not heard about it then I do not know where you have been! I am talking about the mosque that they are planning to build on ground zero. I am all about freedom in this country and in no way do I blame this religion for anything that has happened in this country. But... the events that happened on the most tragic day America has seen in my short lifetime, were performed by people who claim to be Islamic and did it in its name. Now we are going to build a place of worship right where the tragedy happened?
I will now argue both sides before I let my opinion be known.
The religion itself is not to blame. Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world, especially in America. Most Islamic people claim it is a peaceful religion. This religion is supposed to be tolerant to Christians and Jews, because we are "people of the book" (worship the same God), but do not follow the correct prophet. Never-the-less, there are always going to be extremists. People who are extreme anything seem to be bad. We cannot judge a whole demographic of people because of the few who act badly. Extreme Christians have been known to blow up abortion clinics. Extreme atheist have been known to try to suppress religious freedom. Extreme Islamic believers have been known to form many terrorist organizations. How do they justify these actions. According to many places in the Koran (I am spelling it this way because it is how I choose to) they are told to convert non-believers. Seems pretty much like every other religion right? But there is a catch. It also says if they will not convert to kill them. This mosque is supposedly going to be a history center for the Muslim faith and promote the correct form of Islam in The States. Also, to help Americans better accept the religion.
Now for how most Americans and many people around the world feel... Islam is an evil religion who's followers strongly believe in the doctrine of convert or die. Muslims have always been at war since anyone alive today can remember. The people behind the horrific events that happened in New York claimed to do it in the name of Muhammad. They have caused terror world wide all to try to promote their own religion. In short the Koran says convert or die and these extremists take that very seriously. Is it not a slap in the face that they would build a religious temple right on the site of the very building they destroyed? A place where many people lost their lives! Many Americans feel this religion should not even be tolerated in this country. Trying to build a mosque on ground zero makes many Americans feel like Muslims are trying to take over this country.
Remember, all of the above are things I have read and heard other people say. Now for my personal opinion.
Do not build it there. Pick another spot. America is all about freedom. We are tolerant to all other religions, we cannot be against this religion simply because the events that happened on September 11, 2001. If this be the case, then we should simply ban all religion. Religious people, of every faith, have done horrible things. They justify their acts as part of a certain religion, whether it be Christian, Buddhist, or Muslim. Never-the-less, I am still against them putting it on Ground Zero. Something in honor of the victims, not the murderers, should be put there. I have no problem with building a mosque in America, or even in New York, just not there. We should be tolerant to this religion as we are to all others.
Finally, what are we going to do about it? It is already planned to be put there. They are not just going to decide to move it. Something is going to have to be done by the citizens of America. The government cannot rightfully ban the building of a religious building, but protest can happen and people can get the city planners of New York against it going there as well. Living in Alabama, it is hard for me to make it up there and plan a protest. Also, being a poor college student, it would be hard to make it up there for such an event. But, I will. I will gladly make my way up to prevent this building from being put in this location. I am all for religious freedom and Muslims having a place of worship/history center. There is no need for it to be put there!
No comments:
Post a Comment